Mechanism of Action
- A beta lactam antibiotic that inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis.
- Crosses the blood brain barrier - useful against meningitis.
- More active against gram negative bacteria (Haemophilus, Enterobacteriaciae), less active against gram positive bacteria and inactive against MRSA.
- Upper / lower respiratory tract infections
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Adverse Effects
- Very few compared to penicillins
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Pseudomembranous colitis (C difficile)
- Thrombocytopaenia / leukopaenia