β1, β2 and α1 antagonist effects
- Mechanism of Action
- Competitively inhibits the action of adrenaline and noradrenaline on β1 and β2 receptors, resulting in reduced contractility, reduced heart rate and vasoconstriction.
Also inhibits α1 receptors, resulting in vasodilatation.
- Hypertension – second line therapy, indicated for patients with heart failure
- Heart failure
- Decompensated heart failure
- AV block
- Adverse Effects
- Fatigue / headache
- Postural hypotension
- Vivid dreams
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge