- Mechanism of Action
- Prevents utilization of iodine by the thyroid by inhibiting thyroperoxidase-catalysed iodination of tyrosine residues within the thyroid
Suspected to have immunosuppressive effects by affecting signaling pathways between thyroid cells and T cells.
- Hyperthyroidism, either as a sole agent or prior to surgery / radioiodine.
- Adverse Effects
- Foetal abnormalities
- Neutropaenia / thrombocytopaenia
- Cholestatic LFT derangement
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge