- Mechanism of Action
- Inhibits voltage-gated sodium channels, preventing the propagation of action potentials and thus suppressing seizure activity.
- Partial (focal) seizures
- Acute mania
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Adverse Effects
- CNS disturbances – drowsiness, ataxia, headache, diplopia
- Nausea / vomiting
- Anticonvulsant hypersensitivity syndrome (prolonged admin) – fever, rash, lymphadenopathy, hepatitis, myositis
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge