Topical / Subling / IV / IM
Norspan patch, Temgesic sublingual tablet
Used for pain relief and opioid addiction
- Mechanism of Action
- Acts on opioid receptors (δ, κ and µ) and nociceptin orphanin FQ (NOF) receptors on neuronal cell membranes within the thalamus, diencephalon, midbrain and medulla, resulting in reduced neurotransmitter release.
- Less histamine release (flushing, itching, rash) and less constipating than natural opioids.
- Acute and chronic pain
- Opioid addiction
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting
- Respiratory depression
- Hypersensitivity – bronchospasm, urticaria
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge