- Oral / IVAzathioprineImuran
- Mechanism of Action
- A prodrug that is converted to a purine analogue which inhibits purine synthesis, disrupting DNA synthesis and reducing T cell activation.
- Inflammatory disorders - rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, vasculitis
- Prevention of rejection in renal transplantation
- Adverse Effects
- Bone marrow suppression - anaemia / leukopaenia / thrombocytopaenia
- Gastrointestinal - nausea / vomiting / diarrhea
- Hepatotoxicity - elevated LFTs
- Skin - rash
- Monthly full blood count, renal function and LFTs.