Aspirin + Dipyridamole
- OralAspirin + DipyridamoleAsasantin
- Mechanism of Action
- Aspirin inhibits cyclooxygenase, the enzyme responsible for production of thromboxanes, prostacyclin and prostaglandins from arachidonic acid.
- Dypyridamole inhibits platelet cAMP-phosphodiesterase, preventing platelet aggregation. Also augments the platelet inhibitory effect of adenosine by preventing reuptake and degradation of adenosine by endothelial and red blood cells.
- Secondary prevention of stroke (in combination with aspirin)
- Prevention of thromboembolism post prosthetic heart valve surgery (in combination with anticoagulants)
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Gastritis / peptic ulceration
- Headache / dizziness
- Vasodilation – flushing, hypotension
- Elevated LFTs