- Mechanism of Action
- A beta lactam antibiotic that inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis.
- More active than narrow spectrum penicillins against certain gram negatives, such as E coli and Haemophilus influenzae.
- Community-acquired pneumonia
- Peritonsillar abscess
- Bacterial endocarditis
- Rheumatic fever
- Adverse Effects
- Hypersensitivity - urticarial rash, oedema, anaphylaxis
- GIT - nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Thrombocytopaenia / leukopaenia
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge