Oral / IV
20% bioavailability; mainly used for HSV and VZV
- Mechanism of Action
- A nucleoside analogue that is incorporated into viral DNA by viral DNA polymerase, resulting in premature DNA termination.
- Effective against Herpes simplex virus (HSV), varicella zoster virus (VZV) and cytomegalovirus (CMV), though impossible to reach therapeutic levels sufficient to be effective against CMV.
- Genital herpes
- Cold sores
- Herpes simplex encephalitis
- Chickenpox (in adults)
- Ophthalmic herpes zoster
- Adverse Effects
- Nausea / vomiting, headache.
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge