IV / Subcut
- Mechanism of Action
- A fusion protein with the Fc fragment of human IgG1 linked to the extracellular domain of CTLA-4. Binds to CD80 / CD86 on antigen presenting cells and prevents binding by CD28 on T lymphocytes, resulting in lack of a costimulatory response and reduced T cell activation.
- Moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis
- Severe juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis refractory to other DMARDs
- Not to be used concurrently with other biologic DMARDs.
- Adverse Effects
- Injection site reactions
- Infections (particuarly upper respiratory tract infection)
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhoea
- Abdominal pain
- Mouth ulcers
- LFT derangement
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge