- Mechanism of Action
- A prodrug that is converted to a purine analogue which inhibits purine synthesis, disrupting DNA synthesis and reducing T cell activation.
- Inflammatory bowel disease non-responsive to other medications
- Acute leukaemia
- Adverse Effects
- Bone marrow suppression - anaemia / leukopaenia / thrombocytopaenia
- Gastrointestinal - nausea / vomiting / diarrhea
- Hepatotoxicity - elevated LFTs
- Skin - rash
- Monthly full blood count, renal function and LFTs.
Want more info like this?
- Your electronic clinical medicine handbook
- Guides to help pass your exams
- Tools every medical student needs
- Quick diagrams to have the answers, fast
- Quizzes to test your knowledge