- Full List
- Blood Gas Analyser
- Critical Care
Sign up to start your free trial of MedSchool Premium!Get Started
While nausea and vomiting classically occur in an attempt to expel the gastric contents, these symptoms are mediated by complex neurological, metabolic and gastrointestinal pathways. Clinical history can be used to assess the nature of the patient's symptoms and suggest an underlying cause.
Past Medical History
Nausea / Vomiting
- While nausea and vomiting classically occur in an attempt to expel the gastric contents, these symptoms are mediated by complex neurological, metabolic and gastrointestinal pathways. Clinical history can be used to assess the nature of the patient's symptoms and suggest an underlying cause.
Causes of Nausea / Vomiting
- Mechanical Obstruction - oesophageal stricture, gastric outlet obstruction, small / large bowel obstruction
- Functional - gastroparesis, chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction, irritable bowel syndrome, achalasia
- Gastroenteritis - viral / bacterial / parasitic
- Inflammation - appendicitis, cholecystitis, hepatitis, pancreatitis, peritonitis, Crohn’s, mesenteric ischaemia
- Pancreatic cancer
- Peptic ulcer
- Raised intracranial pressure - ischaemic stroke, haemorrhage, tumour, meningitis, abscess, hydrocephalus
- Vestibular - labyrinthitis, Meniere’s, motion sickness
- Seizure disorder
- Metabolic / endocrine - pregnancy, DKA, hypercalcaemia, hyponatraemia, hyperthyroidism, Addison’s, uraemia
- Infection - pneumonia, UTI, otitis media
- Psychiatric - anxiety, depression, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, severe pain
- Medications - NSAIDs, opioids, chemotherapy, antigout, antiarrhythmics, OCP, certain antibiotics, antiepileptics, sulfasalazine, Parkinson’s meds
- Alcohol - intoxication / withdrawal
- Postoperative nausea / vomiting
- Acute coronary syndrome
History of Presenting Complaint
OnsetWhether the nausea / vomiting started suddenly or gradually, and in what situation it began.
- Onset post alcohol ingestionSuggestive of alcohol intoxication or withdrawal
- Onset post head injurySuggestive of post head injury headache
- Post chemo or radiotherapySuggestive of chemotherapy / radiotherapy side effect
VomitusThe colour, consistency and volume of the vomitus.
- Bilious (green) vomitusSuggestive of small bowel obstruction
- Faeculant vomitingSuggestive of intestinal obstruction
- Regurgitation of undigested foodSuggestive of oesophageal cause
- Partially digested foodSuggestive of gastric outlet obstruction
- Frank blood (haematemesis)Suggestive of upper GI bleed
- Coffee ground vomitusSuggestive of upper GI bleed
- Projectile vomitingCharacteristic of raised ICP
Associated SymptomsWhether the nausea / vomiting is associated with any other symptoms.
- Abdominal painNon-specific symptom of gastrointestinal cause
- Severe abdominal pain prior to vomitingSuggestive of small bowel obstruction
- BloatingSuggestive of gastroparesis
- DiarrhoeaSuggestive of viral gastroenteritis
- Headache / other neurological symptomsSuggestive of neurological cause
- VertigoSuggestive of vestibular cause
- Weight lossSuggestive of malignancy
SeverityHow long the nausea / vomiting has been going on for; frequency and number of times vomited.
- Worst first thing in the morningSuggestive of pregnancy, alcohol intake, uraemia or raised ICP
- Vomiting 1-2 hours after eatingSuggestive of gastric outlet obstruction
- Vomiting during mealsSuggestive of anorexia or bulimia nervosa
- Whether the patient has been able to keep down any fluids, and how the nausea / vomiting is affecting their daily life.
- Whether any friends, family or coworkers are sick with similar symptoms.Suggestive of gastroenteritis, particularly viral
Last updated on November 11th, 2017
Ananthakrishnan AN. Epidemiology and risk factors for IBD. Nature reviews Gastroenterology & hepatology. 2015 Apr;12(4):205.Apau D. Assessing abdominal pain through history taking and physical examination. Gastrointestinal Nursing. 2010 Sep; 8(7): 50 - 53.
Arce DA, Ermocilla CA, Costa HI. Evaluation of constipation. American family physician. 2002 Jun 1;65(11):2283-98.Argyrou A, Legaki E, Koutserimpas C, Gazouli M, Papaconstantinou I, Gkiokas G, Karamanolis G. Risk factors for gastroesophageal reflux disease and analysis of genetic contributors. World journal of clinical cases. 2018 Aug 16;6(8):176.Armstrong MJ, Adams LA, Canbay A, Syn WK. Extrahepatic complications of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology. 2014 Mar;59(3):1174-97.Astor FC, Hanft KL, Ciocon JO. Xerostomia: a prevalent condition in the elderly. Ear, nose, & throat journal. 1999 Jul;78(7):476-9.
Bates CM, Plevris JN. Clinical evaluation of abdominal pain in adults. Medicine. 2013 Feb 28;41(2):81-6.Chlabicz S, Flisiak R, Grzeszczuk A, Kovalchuk O, Prokopowicz D, Chyczewski L. Known and probable risk factors for hepatitis C infection: a case series in north-eastern Poland. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG. 2006 Jan 7;12(1):141.Collin GR, Russell JC. Endometriosis of the colon. Its diagnosis and management. The American surgeon. 1990 May;56(5):275-9.Corinaldesi R, Stanghellini V, Barbara G, Tomassetti P, De Giorgio R. Clinical approach to diarrhea. Internal and Emergency Medicine. 2012 Oct; 7(3 Suppl): 255-262.Drossman DA, Dumitrascu DL. Rome III: New standard for functional gastrointestinal disorders. Journal of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases. 2006 Sep;15(3):237.Elias E. Clinical and biochemical diagnosis of jaundice. Bailliere's Clinical Gastroenterology. 1989 Apr; 3(2): 357-385.Eskelinen M. Usefulness of history-taking in non-specific abdominal pain: a prospective study of 1333 patients with acute abdominal pain in Finland. In vivo 2012 Mar; 26 (2): 335.Feuerstein JD, Cheifetz AS. Ulcerative colitis: epidemiology, diagnosis, and management. InMayo Clinic Proceedings 2014 Nov 30 (Vol. 89, No. 11, pp. 1553-1563).Fields JM, Dean AJ. Systemic causes of abdominal pain. Emergency medicine clinics of North America. 2011 May 31;29(2):195-210.
Galossi A, Guarisco R, Bellis L, Puoti C. Extrahepatic manifestations of chronic HCV infection. Journal of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases. 2007 Mar 1;16(1):65.Gaude GS. Pulmonary manifestations of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Annals of thoracic medicine. 2009 Jul;4(3):115.Han SH. Extrahepatic manifestations of chronic hepatitis B. Clinics in liver disease. 2004 May;8(2):403-18.Hu XY, Li Y, Li LQ, Zheng Y, Lv JH, Huang SC, Zhang W, Liu L, Zhao L, Liu Z, Zhao XJ. Risk factors and biomarkers of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: an observational cross-sectional population survey. BMJ open. 2018 Apr 1;8(4):e019974.Ingelfinger FJ. Differential diagnosis of jaundice. Disease-a-Month. 1958 Nov; 4(11): 1-42.Jamshed N, Lee ZE, Olden KW. Diagnostic Approach to Constipation in Adults. American Family Physician. 2011; 84(3): 299-306.Jensen T, Niwa K, Hisatome I, Kanbay M, Andres-Hernando A, Roncal-Jimenez CA, Sato Y, Garcia G, Ohno M, Lanaspa MA, Johnson RJ. Increased serum uric acid over five years is a risk factor for developing fatty liver. Scientific reports. 2018 Aug 6;8(1):11735.Johnson CM, Wei C, Ensor JE, Smolenski DJ, Amos CI, Levin B, Berry DA. Meta-analyses of colorectal cancer risk factors. Cancer causes & control. 2013 Jun 1;24(6):1207-22.Kappus MR, Sterling RK. Extrahepatic manifestations of acute hepatitis B virus infection. Gastroenterology & hepatology. 2013 Feb;9(2):123.Kirchhoff P, Clavien PA, Hahnloser D. Complications in colorectal surgery: risk factors and preventive strategies. Patient safety in surgery. 2010 Dec;4(1):5.
Lee L, Blaker P, Wilkinson M. Chronic constipation: current assessment and management. Prescriber-London. 2012 Dec 1;23(23):13.Levine JS, Burakoff R. Extraintestinal manifestations of inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology & hepatology. 2011 Apr;7(4):235.Locke III GR, Talley NJ, Fett SL, Zinsmeister AR, Melton III LJ. Risk factors associated with symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux. The American journal of medicine. 1999 Jun 1;106(6):642-9.Macaluso CR, McNamara RM. Evaluation and management of acute abdominal pain in the emergency department. International journal of general medicine. 2012;5:789.McNamara R, Dean Aj. Approach to Acute Abdominal Pain. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 2011 May; 29(2):159-173.Metz A, Hebbard G. Nausea and vomiting in adults: A diagnostic approach. Australian family physician. 2007 Sep 1;36(9):688.Milosavljevic T, Kosti?-Milosavljevi? M, Jovanovi? I, Krsti? M. Complications of peptic ulcer disease. Digestive diseases. 2011;29(5):491-3.Molodecky NA, Kaplan GG. Environmental risk factors for inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology & hepatology. 2010 May;6(5):339.Napenas JJ, Brennan MT, Fox PC. Diagnosis and treatment of xerostomia (dry mouth). Odontology. 2009 Jul 1;97(2):76-83.Nilsson M, Johnsen R, Ye W, Hveem K, Lagergren J. Lifestyle related risk factors in the aetiology of gastro-oesophageal reflux. Gut. 2004 Dec 1;53(12):1730-5.Pfenninger JL, Zainea GG. Common anorectal conditions: Part I. Symptoms and complaints. American family physician. 2001 Jun;63(12):2391-8.Quigley EM, Hasler WL, Parkman HP. AGA technical review on nausea and vomiting. Gastroenterology. 2001 Jan 31;120(1):263-86.R SM. Evaluating dysphagia. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61:3639-3648.Rabinovitz M, Pitlik SD, Leifer M, Garty M, Rosenfeld JB. Unintentional weight loss: a retrospective analysis of 154 cases. Archives of internal medicine. 1986 Jan 1;146(1):186-7.Ramakrishnan K, Salinas RC. Peptic ulcer disease. American family physician. 2007 Oct 1;76(7).Roden DF, Altman KW. Causes of dysphagia among different age groups: a systematic review of the literature. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2013 Dec 31;46(6):965-87.Schechter GL. Systemic causes of dysphagia in adults. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 1998 Jun 1;31(3):525-35.Schiller LR. Chronic diarrhea. Gastroenterology. 2004 Jul 31;127(1):287-93.Segal WN, Greenberg PD, Rockey DC, Cello JP, McQuaid KR. The outpatient evaluation of hematochezia. The American journal of gastroenterology. 1998 Feb 1;93(2):179-82.Vanni E, Marengo A, Mezzabotta L, Bugianesi E. Systemic complications of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: when the liver is not an innocent bystander. InSeminars in liver disease 2015 Aug (Vol. 35, No. 03, pp. 236-249). Thieme Medical Publishers.Walker CL, Sack D, Black RE. Etiology of diarrhea in older children, adolescents and adults: a systematic review. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010 Aug 3;4(8):e768.Watcha MF, White PF. Postoperative nausea and vomiting. Its etiology, treatment, and prevention. Anesthesiology. 1992 Jul;77(1):162-84.White GN, O'Rourke F, Ong BS, Cordato DJ, Chan DK. Dysphagia: causes, assessment, treatment, and management. Geriatrics. 2008 May 1;63(5).Yeh EL. Abdominal Pain. Clinics in geriatric medicine. 2007 May; 23 (2): 255.